miriad

Tall Girls Have Short Memories

Aspiring Author Who Loves Books, Writes About Books, and Tells the Truth As She Sees It (From Way Up Here)

A Game of Thrones
Born To Darkness
Suzanne Brockmann
Size 12 and Ready to Rock
Meg Cabot
Money, A Love Story: Untangling Your Finances, Creating the Life You Really Want, and Living Your Purpose
Kate Northrup

In Defence of Food: An Eater's Manifesto

In Defense of Food - Michael Pollan I finished reading “In Defense of Food” yesterday and was a bit torn. On the one hand, I think this is a great book, chock full of important and illuminating information. On the other, I felt like a large part of why I wanted to read the book (diet suggestions, meal discussion, etc.) was somewhat lacking. The book is pretty fair, overall, considering the subject matter. The author looks at the current state of nutrition and food industry in this country and explains how we got here, just where exactly here is, and where it looks like we’re heading based on our path up to this point. While I am sure Monsanto wouldn’t agree, I think that the information presented, while skewed to a certain extent due to the authors obvious bias, is accurate and not as villianizing as it has been other books I have read in the past.There was much here I didn’t know, although there was a lot that I did, just based on my experience with the paleo community over the past year. The data regarding the FDA changes in 1973 was new to me (unless I just ignored it in other texts at this point) and was, quite frankly, scary and depressing.The only regret I have with this book is that the “What to Eat” section was so short, and felt tacked on to the end. While I understand the authors desire to not focus on certain nutrients, rather, to focus on whole FOOD, it just felt like he was assuming that the reader already knew what that meant. There are many people out there who are stuck in food deserts, who don’t have access to a lot of fresh fruits and veggies, but they’d like that to change. I had hoped that there would be more resources for someone who picked the book up at their local library and just didn’t know where to start. It was only in the end, really, where I felt like the book was not only marketed to more affluent white people but that it was written just for them as well. I don’t think it was an impression the author intended to give, but that’s what I took away from it.In the end, I felt like it was important that I read this book and I know that I will use what I learned moving forward, when making food choices. Heck, I already did when I went to the Co-Op last night. This is the kind of book that makes you put forth the effort to find additional resources to make the kinds of lifestyle changes that the author suggests. I just wish he had provided those resources directly.