miriad

Tall Girls Have Short Memories

Aspiring Author Who Loves Books, Writes About Books, and Tells the Truth As She Sees It (From Way Up Here)

A Game of Thrones
Born To Darkness
Suzanne Brockmann
Size 12 and Ready to Rock
Meg Cabot
Money, A Love Story: Untangling Your Finances, Creating the Life You Really Want, and Living Your Purpose
Kate Northrup
Chasing the Bear - Robert B. Parker I'm pretty disappointed with this book.On the one hand, I liked looking back at Spencer's life when he was a kid. His father and uncles were really great and made complete sense, in terms of who they were based on who Spencer came to be.However, I felt that the story itself was somewhat lacking. I didn’t like the bumpers with Spencer and Susan. I didn’t like the picking apart of Spencer's motives and the psychobabble nature of Susan's comments felt trite to me.What I really wished the book would have been was a complete dive into Spencer's life with a bit more of an adult take on the story. We know that Parker can write a tense story of a man in the woods being hunted- what would that have been like with Spencer as a boy? We know that Parker (and Spencer) deals with kids pretty well- look at Paul and his relationship with Spencer.I was hoping for something along those lines but did not get it.I felt that the incident with the Mexican boy in Spencer's class felt tacked on and not structured in such a way to be really believable.I recently read Parker's "The Boxer and the Spy" and found that his take in that book on high school politics and teenage behavior to be much more believable and entertaining.I have loved the Spencer character for a very long time and have always felt that if Parker was going to touch on Spencer's past and really dig into it, that I wanted a thick novel, a mystery of some kind and Spencer being Spencer. That idea is not this novel.