miriad

Tall Girls Have Short Memories

Aspiring Author Who Loves Books, Writes About Books, and Tells the Truth As She Sees It (From Way Up Here)

A Game of Thrones
Born To Darkness
Suzanne Brockmann
Size 12 and Ready to Rock
Meg Cabot
Money, A Love Story: Untangling Your Finances, Creating the Life You Really Want, and Living Your Purpose
Kate Northrup
Perfect Strangers - Gem Sivad Above and beyond anything in this book, I have to comment on the following. I don't care if he was her husband, no one and I mean NO ONE is ever ENTITLED to access to a woman's body. When a woman says no, she means no, and even if the guy is her husband, he needs to stop or it IS sexual assault. That's right, folks, that means it's RAPE. I found this book to be full of rape-y scenes and that's not even referring to the actual sexual assault that kicked off the action in the book.I was so furious with Ambrose in this book. His wife is discovered alive but she has amnesia and can't remember her life before 3 years earlier. Ambrose, because HE knows that she is his wife, thinks that he has the RIGHT to access her body sexually, her needs and wants be damned. He paws all over her, kneading her breasts like bread dough, rubbing his erection on her all the time. It's actually quite disturbing how little he seems to care about what she wants (or doesn't want) from him.She has to physically fight him off at times and yet the author never allows Ambrose to understand that just because they're married doesn't mean that he deserves to use her however he sees fit. He never admits that he was wrong, or that he perhaps approached his behavior with her from the wrong direction. Ambrose, for the entire books, thinks that he was right and the author never corrects him.When Lucy finally remembers what happened to her and she tells Ambrose that she was raped, I wondered if it was the first time that he actually understood that not only was she beaten, cut, and left for dead, but that she had also been sexually assaulted. I was waiting for him to apologize for forcing himself on her, repeatedly, perhaps because he didn't understand the extent of her issues with her body and other people accessing it without her express consent. But we never get that. It's like Ambrose doesn't care that he possibly added to her trauma, and apparently neither does the author. This isn't a sexy alpha male. This is sexual assault by an arrogant, entitled man who growls his way possessively through this book, not really asking himself what Lucy needs, just deciding that what HE needs IS what she needs and not stopping till he gets what he wants. I found him repulsive and all the sex scenes to be disturbing and some of the least erotic moments in a book I've read all year, quite possibly ever. I also see in this book the perpetuation of the myth of the "magical penis" that can "cure" a sexual assault victim of their issues. From the beginning, Ambrose is all over Lucy, telling her that he knows that she wants it, that he needs her and that he is entitled to her because she's his wife, not matter what disagreements she may have with that. And over time, his "magic penis" seems to "heal" her, as she starts to feel aroused despite not wanting him to touch her.The author clearly intends this to mean that despite her mental protests, her body remembers Ambrose and actually wants him to have sex with her (because he certainly isn't make love to her). What the author is either unaware of or is ignoring is that there are certain physiological responses that happen when certain parts of the body are stimulated, which is why some women (and men) actually orgasm when raped. It's not that they were actually aroused, it's that their "body" buttons were pushed and they were forced into orgasm.Basically, her physical responses do not mean that she wants it or that she likes it, it just means that he's manipulating her body. The fact that the author repeatedly relies on Lucy's responses as a guide for whether she actually wants to have sex or not, as opposed to what she thinks she wants, makes it clear that the author doesn't know or doesn't care about this issue. It's called research, folks, and if you are writing a book about a rape survivor, you should do some.At the end of the book, what I got out of it is that if a rape victim just gives in and lets her man do whatever he wants, he'll eventually "fix" her, removing any mental issues that she might have regarding sexual contact with persons of the opposite sex because sex with him is just that good.I call shenanigans. This book reinforces rape culture and reinforces the idea that, despite the fact that LUCY was the one that was raped, it's AMRBOSE who knows best how to help her get over her trauma and damn whatever she thinks she wants. She has no real agency here and in the end has no real choice in the matter regarding having sex with Ambrose or not. He tells her multiple times that he's going to take what he wants so she better just get used to it. That's rape, ladies, and it is not cool, fun, or sexy.This book is epic fail and I am sorry that I spent money on it. If I could, I'd return it for my money back.