miriad

Tall Girls Have Short Memories

Aspiring Author Who Loves Books, Writes About Books, and Tells the Truth As She Sees It (From Way Up Here)

A Game of Thrones
Born To Darkness
Suzanne Brockmann
Size 12 and Ready to Rock
Meg Cabot
Money, A Love Story: Untangling Your Finances, Creating the Life You Really Want, and Living Your Purpose
Kate Northrup
Three Graves Full - Jamie  Mason I got this from Netgalley- they shot me an e-mail and I was intrigued. I loved the idea of this book. A guy kills someone, buries the body on his property. A year later, bodies (plural) are found on his property, neither of which are the body he buried.Fantastic premise and a really great idea for a mystery.Except, this isn’t a mystery. I’m not entirely sure what this is, but a mystery it isn’t. Everything is laid out pretty clearly almost immediately and if there is a bit of mystery, it doesn’t stay that way for very long. You know which person killed which other person, when, why, and how before you reach the middle of the book.What, then, is the book supposed to be about? You got me. I have no clue. It could be a character study, but if so, it’s about a bunch of really boring people that I couldn’t care less about. I’m not really sure if it’s about a character journey for anyone, although a few weak arguments could be made about Leah, or Jason.What it really boils down to for me is this- the writing needs some serious work. Don’t get me wrong, I think the prose is beautiful. The author clearly has talent on that level, although the amount of $0.50 words is a bit ridiculous- we get it, you’re smart. Fantastic. Can you quit showing off and tell the stupid story now?What I mean when I say the writing needs work is that there are some fiction fundamentals that were really lacking for me here that the authors editor, agent, etc. should have picked up on and polished but clearly did not.The first major example would be POINT OF VIEW. The author jumps from point of view to point of view- from Jason to Leah to Boyd to Tim back to Jason to Tessa the freaking DOG like a flea in a kennel. There were numerous occasions where I had to backtrack just to determine whose POV I was actually in, because there was no indication that I had moved from one character to another. In writing circles this can be known as head hopping and it bugs the crap out of me. It can be done well- some say Nora Roberts does it well, although I don’t always agree with that statement, but here it was just annoying.It was never clear in every case why the POV shift happened and sometimes it felt gratuitous, like there was no reason at all, the author just wanted to change from one to the other. That was when it was the most frustrating of all.A second element I think needed some work as all the telling, as opposed to showing. We got a lot of backstory for a number of characters that we just didn’t need, told in long passages of prose that was just boring. I’m not sure what it added to the story, mostly because I’m not really sure what the story really was, to be honest, but I know that I was bored and I didn’t care, and it just felt like I was getting all of this out of place history that had no real context or meaning when placed next to everything else that had happened.Maggie’s smoking story, about her and Ford not being able to have kids- what did that have to do with anything? At the point in the book we were getting that story, it didn’t add anything for me and it didn’t move the plot forward or add to the tension of the moment, it just slowed everything down and TOLD me about Maggie, it didn’t SHOW me anything about her as a person or a character.I found myself growing more and more frustrated with the book as I read further, trying to figure out just what the author was trying to do with the story, what they were trying to say. What, I asked myself, was the point? I stayed with it because I was hoping there was some kind of twist ending or something new and different I was waiting for… and then I got to the end and thought to myself, THAT WAS IT? THAT’S WHAT I WAS WAITING FOR? And the last paragraph- what? I don’t know what you’re trying to say with that. Is he a monster? What?This is what I got from this book: Sometimes you have to do bad things. Sometimes bad things are actually kind of okay things. It’s fine to blame your bad actions on dead people if they are bad people too. It’s okay if you try to kill someone, if you didn’t REALLY mean it. Going on the run is a great plan. And get a dog.I hate getting to the end of a book and feeling more frustrated than when I started it. I read for pleasure, for enjoyment, for relaxation. I don’t need a book to be simple or easy, but I want it to make sense and to have something to say. This one doesn’t, at least not as far as I can tell. The author wants to have written a Cohen Brothers’ movie in book form. This is not that book.